[arch-general] update to calibre-0.9.15-1

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 09:18:37 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 18.01.2013 13:59, schrieb phani:
>> during today's update from calibre 0.9.14-1 -> 0.9.15-1, pacman complained
>> that all packages under /usr/lib/calibre/calibre were already existing in
>> the filesystem, and therefore the update couldn't be performed.
>
> Not sure what was going over on your side, however the update went
> smoothly for me.
>
>> looks to me as if this is some packaging error. don't know enough about
>> arch packaging though to say what exactly went wrong...
>
> Looking at the changes done to package, I don't think that this is a
> packaging error, see [1].

No one that hasn't touched the calibre software will suffer from the
existing files. Python (which creates those files when stuff is used)
packages now provide compiled bytecode which also saves the users'
power, and I think it's a great feature. The downside is that all the
*.pyc/*.pyo stuff is in many cases already on disk and it was actually
the third hunk in [1] that brought in the change. Look up the bug
report [2] that hunk is referring to, which is relevant in this case.
There were other such updates in the past for me - and I believe I
used some for/rm loop in bash instead of pacman --force. I think top
note in [3] was added at some point, which will both impose further
cleanness in python packaging and confusion on not-very-savant users
in the future. I also agree with pacman in that it should not handle
such cases, because that's what using arch means to me.

Alternatively, you could have informed yourself about what *.pyc/*.pyo
files are and answered your own question.

cheers!
mar77i

[1] https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/log/trunk?h=packages/calibre
[2] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/33392