[arch-general] community/vlock vs core/kbd vlock

Fredrik Eriksson erif-archlinux-general at z42.net
Thu Jan 24 17:21:23 EST 2013

Hi,

I used to rely on xautolock + community/vlock for locking my X session,
core/kbd however removed community/vlock in favor of its own vlock which lack
the functionality I need. Besides -a

       -a,--all

              Lock all console sessions and disable VC switching.

not working

  This tty (pts/5) is not a virtual console.
  The entire console display cannot be locked.

I also used -n and -s

       -n,--new

              Switch to a new virtual console before locking all  console
              sessions.

       -s,--disable-sysrq

              Disable  the  SysRq  mechanism  while  consoles are locked.
              This option only works if the -a,--all option given.

that the new vlock is lacking.

Not wanting to revert to slock I reworked community/vlock into my system in a
foul manner I'm not going to mention here.

I've also read

  https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/33134
  http://www.spinics.net/lists/util-linux-ng/msg07153.html
  http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-203953.html   :D

I'm not sure what my question should be, really, but I would like to be able to
use the 2.2.3 functionality (-ans) without having an ugly hacky setup.

Regards,
--
Fredrik