[arch-general] Arch Linux on servers?

M Saunders okachi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 06:13:08 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm writing a feature about Arch for Linux Format, a UK-based
newsstand Linux magazine. I've been using Arch myself for a while for
testing new app releases, and it's brilliant for that purpose.

I'm still left wondering though: who uses it on production servers? I
mean, the distro's overall simplicity and trimmed-down base
installation are plus points here, but surely a rolling release poses
problems. After installation you just want security and critical bug
fix updates for software, and not major version bumps, right?

www.archserver.org seems to be on hold, and I've also seen this page:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Enhancing_Arch_Linux_Stability

which has some useful tips. But it'd be interesting to hear from
people running Arch on production servers, how well it works for them
and what (if any) problems they've faced.

Thanks!
Mike