[arch-general] 'Check out-of-date packages' tool

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Sun May 12 18:21:48 EDT 2013

Hi

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Don deJuan <donjuansjiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/11/2013 11:26 AM, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > Per discussion in 'pacman-dev' maillist [1] I implemented a tool that
> tries
> > to find Arch out-of-date packages. The tool scans PKGBUILD files is
> > /var/abs directory, extracts download url and then tries to probe
> download
> > urls for the next version. Next versions look like
> >
> > X.Y.Z+1
> > X.Y+1.0
> > X+1.0.0
> >
> > If any of the new versions presents on the download server it reports to
> > user as 'new version available'.
> >
> > Here is the tool sources https://github.com/anatol/pkgoutofdate To make
> its
> > usage even more pleasant I added it to AUR
> > https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pkgoutofdate-git/
> >
> > To use it please install pkgoutofdate-git package:
> >
> > $ yaourt -S pkgoutofdate-git
> >
> > Then update abs database and run tool itself:
> >
> > $ sudo abs && pkgoutofdate
> >
> > That's it. The result looks like

> > closure-linter: new version found - 2.3.8 => 2.3.9
> > perl-data-dump: new version found - 1.21 => 1.22
> > wgetpaste: new version found - 2.20 => 2.21
> > fillets-ng-data: new version found - 1.0.0 => 1.0.1
> > tablelist: new version found - 5.5 => 5.6
> >

> > There are some fals positive and negative results though, mostly because
> > download servers return different sort of weird responses. I still work
> on
> > work-arounds for all these cases.
> >
> > Hope you find this tool useful and it will help to make Arch software
> even
> > more bleeding edge.
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2013-March/thread.html#16850
> Does this only work for packages found in the ABS or will it also work
> for AUR packages one might be maintaining?

Only ABS right now. I did it because it is easy to traverse files under
/var/abs and parse them.

AUR requires additional step on fetching PKGBUILD from server. It should be
fairly easy to add it. What is the recommended way to fetch files from aur?
Just 'wget https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pk/pkgoutofdate-git/PKGBUILD'?