[arch-general] Sorting by subject makes Evolution crash

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Fri Nov 29 13:09:41 EST 2013

[2013-11-29 18:20:57 +0100] Ralf Mardorf:
> I'm a Linux user, not a Linux developer.

I'm not asking you to develop anything. Just to report informative
messages that your operating system makes readily available to you
through a few simple commands.

Obtaining a backtrace is a straightforward, well-documented process:

	https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Debug_-_Getting_Traces#Getting_the_trace

It's fine for a Linux user of ten years not to know how to do this, but
it shows that they have little interest in getting things fixed...

> I deleted the contend of the .xsession-errors files and tried to forced
> a crash by sorting by subject, running Evolution in a terminal
> emulation.

You mean that you just typed "evolution" in an xterm?

> _No_ crash, it took a very long time to sort by subject and Evolution
> became unresponsive during sorting. Nothing was ad to .xsession-errors
> and the only output after starting Evolution was:
>
> (evolution:9200): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to register client:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

Now *that* is an actual piece of information. Although it seems
unrelated to your sort-crash, thanks for reporting it...

> It's not that easy to _use_ something and to troubleshoot. At the moment
> I'm willing to disassemble my computer to troubleshoot a kernel issue. I
> will do this, when I don't need the computer, but usually I need this
> computer and the Evolution bug(s) appear from time to time, not when I
> decide to troubleshoot.

Your original message made it sound like Evolution crashes every single
time you try to sort by subject. And now you say that the issue is not
always reproducible?

When you report an issue, you need to give all the information you have
in the first email you send. Not just say "X crashes; help" and wait for
someone else to extract details from you later on.

--
Gaetan