[arch-general] changing default target to multi-user when no X - any benefit?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Nov 30 23:10:26 EST 2013

Guys,

  After fresh install and rebuild of an Arch server with systemd, would it make
any difference to change the systemd default target to multi-user? There is no
X, so I'm not sure what difference, if any, it would make, or if it is simply
semantics at that point. Looking, all I have under systemd/system is
multi-user.target.wants and getty.target.wants. Does having the systemd default
target set to graphical in this case do anything that wouldn't be done if the
default were changed to multi-user?

  Here it just looks like the old case where you have 'id:5:initdefault:' in
inittab, but no X, so the system just looks for some gui displaymanager to load,
doesn't find it, and drops to console. The wiki
[[Systemd#Change_current_target]] discussed changing the default, but does not
explain what is being done besides changing a symlink to
/etc/systemd/system/default.target. Being new to systemd on Arch, I just want to
make sure I am not biting myself by leaving the default as graphical when in
fact I'm just booting into multi-user. What say the experts?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.