[arch-general] OBS or other package build server?

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 03:54:05 EDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> I've once again lost access to the server I use to build
> [haskell-core], this time it's entirely my own doing :(  So I'm once
> again looking around to see if there are any generally available build
> servers, but the only one I find is OBS[1] (in particular OpenSUSE's
> server[2]).
>
> Does anyone on the list have experience of using OBS for building
> packages for Arch Linux?
>
> Would OBS scale to building and maintaining about 200 Arch Linux
> packages?
>
> Are there any other options out there?

Hi,
I've personally never used OBS to build Arch packages, but I used it
to build OpenSuSE packages (and I tried some Fedora packaging, too).

In my opinion OBS is quite nice project. You just upload files needed
for build (in my case it was a spec file and sources) and go do
something else. In the meantime it will build and it will be published
unless there was a problem with build. The only problem is that it
always run some king of lint on the resulting package and it has
always been really picky about problems (no matter if it was
intentional), so be prepared that it may run namcap on the package and
explode on every warning. But once all you packages are just perfect,
it is great to use. You can easily rebuild many packages by just
clicking an icon, you can build for multiple distributions etc.

I suggest you to try it.

Lukas