[arch-general] System-Wide Pulseaudio

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 16:26:22 EDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Dennis Lange <dennis at lumalab.net> wrote:

> > Do you have mpd installed on your system ? If not, I would first consider
> > it. In your case, it will be the easiest way to share a common music
> > library and settings between all your sessions.
> >  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mpd
> >
> > If already installed, please share your mpd configuration.
> >

> Ok now i have a global Music Player Daemon running.

Did you installed mpd as per user, as said in the wiki ? It means each user
will start/stop its mpd instance.

> To do this I edit /etc/mpd.conf and unmask and edit the following lines:
>
> music_directory "/var/lib/mpd/music"
> playlist_directory "/var/lib/mpd/playlists"
> db_file "/var/lib/mpd/mpd.db"
> log_file "/var/lib/mpd/mpd.log"
> pid_file "/run/mpd/mpd.pid"

Did you uncomment  this line :
#state_file "/var/lib/mpd/mpdstate"

user "mpd"
> bind_to_address         "127.0.0.1"
> port                    "6600"     <=== no need.Optional.
>
> audio_output {
>         type            "pulse"
>         name            "pulse audio"
>         server          "127.0.0.1"   <=== no need.Optional
> }

Try to create one mpd.conf in each user home directory.  Keep same
settings, except for :
pid_file "/home/user_name/.mpd/mpd.pid (of course $mkdir )
user "user_name"
You can even customize each user playlist, but I guess in your case you
want same library

> I also unmask and edit /etc/pulse/default.pa with:
>
> load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1  <=== no
> need. comment
>

> systemctl enable mpd
> systemctl start mpd

Do you have a link to  mpd.service in
/usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants ?

> After all I am only able to play webradio on one account.
>
> Sep 07 17:47 : client: No such playlist   <=== That's the point. No
> playlist is found

I would say mpd is not configured as per user, and can't find the playlist.
You can play radio (sound is working) but no track,
$ cd /var/lib/mpd
$ ls -al
Check permissions