[arch-general] /var lost, how "reinstal" Archlinux?

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 12:12:52 EDT 2014

On 03/04/14 05:22 AM, Marek Otahal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've lost content of /var, other partitions are ok, so system somewhat
> boots up (to recovery mode).
> What is the less pain method to get it again up and running? The problem I
> see are pacman list of installed packages? Any other notes on what
> important things could be missing?
>
> Thank you very much for any help,
> Mark
>
> PS: no backups :-/

You can install a fresh install on top of the old install by using
`pacstrap`. I would boot up a live cd, move /etc to /etc_old, then
remove all other top levels directories other than /home, and install
again with pacstrap. The pacman database was in /var so there's little
point in trying to reinstall the same packages, and it doesn't seem very
important anyway - you'll remember what you used when it's missing, and
it's trivial to install it again.