[arch-general] Android support in Linux Arch

GSC xgdgsc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 22:22:52 EDT 2014

On 04/17/2014 06:50 AM, Karol Babioch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 17.04.2014 00:38, schrieb Anatol Pomozov:
>> Are there people with Android development background? What exactly do
>> you miss in Arch?
> The problem I face with the Android situation in Arch is that currently
> there seems to be no "clean" (TM) way to install the SDK and related
> stuff. The android-sdk package from AUR is fine and dandy, but one
> usually also needs to install a whole bunch of API specific packages
> through the "android" tool from the SDK.
>
> - This doesn't work for normal users, e.g. you can update the packages
> using Eclipse, but you need to start "/opt/android-sdk/tools/android" as
> root
>
> - Installing any sort of package through the "installer" mentioned above
> isn't compatible with the whole idea of package management, because the
> package manager isn't aware of these files. I ran into conflicts before,
> which I had to resolve by temporarily removing some components.
>
> Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but at least this is what I've
> experienced throughout the last couple of months. Unfortunately I don't
> see a good way how this can be improved, as I like the idea of
> installing only API components that I really need and get instant (!)
> updates for them directly from the upstream project.
>
> Anyone familiar with the situation on other distributions? How do they
> handle all of this?
>
> Best regards,
> Karol Babioch

You can just chown /opt/android-sdk and it will be easier to install api.

  Judging by the vote of android packages on AUR, most people seem to
use the main android-sdk... packages and download apis from it, this
shouldn' t be causing any conflict, I think. A cleaner way would be you
just download the android-sdk from google and manage it yourself,
anyway, itself is a package manager. I' m quite satisfied with the
current status and don' t find support for android in [community]
necessary, while if android licence allows this, moving some main
android development packages to [community] doesn' t hurt, especially
some huge package like android-ndk.  I don' t know why you only consider
non-binary packages.