[arch-general] No user sound - only root has access alsamixer on virtualbox?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Feb 1 23:23:36 EST 2014

On 02/01/2014 08:54 PM, Armin K. wrote:
> Seems like you installed pulseaudio but you aren't running it.
> pulseaudio usually runs as normal user and not as root user - that's why
> root uses "raw alsa", and normal user uses "alsa through pulseaudio".

Hmm.. You are correct. But installing pulseaudio-alsa which provides
/etc/asound.conf:

# Use PulseAudio by default
pcm.!default {
  type pulse
  fallback "sysdefault"
  hint {
    show on
    description "Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)"
  }
}

ctl.!default {
  type pulse
  fallback "sysdefault"
}

Has always taken care of this automatically before. However, this is the first
build of Trinity on Arch that does not rely on hal, so there may be more
required to get sound going for normal users. I have started pulseaudio, but as
of yet, I cannot get sound configured and working. Sound has always been tricky
when it is not working. Here, apparently root works just fine using "raw alsa",
but then what to do for the users. I'll keep picking around, if you have any
other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.