[arch-general] Systemd email notifications

ushi ushi+arch at honkgong.info
Thu Feb 13 08:21:36 EST 2014

Am 13.02.2014 13:04, schrieb Paul Gideon Dann:
> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know of any standard system for receiving notifications
> from systemd for unit state changes?  I currently use Monit for the
> monitoring of many processes, and it'll e-mail me when things
> happen (e.g. a process was restarted).  Since switching to systemd,
> it's felt a bit silly that for several processes, I'm having Monit
> monitor them simply because systemd is unable to tell me it
> restarted a unit.  Monit isn't actually required to keep those
> processes alive as it once was, because systemd can do that.
>
> Paul

Hey Paul,

Check out OnFailure=

  [Unit]
  Description="HTTP Service"
  OnFailure=mail-root at http.service

The mail-root at .service is a generic oneshot service that mails you
some stuff.

  [Unit]
  Description="Mailer"

  [Service]
  Type=oneshot
  ExecStart=/path/to/my/mail-script %i

  [Install]
  WantedBy=multi-user.target

And your mail-script is somthing like...

  #!/usr/bin/env sh

  systemctl status "${1}.service" | \
  mail -s "Failed Service: ${1}" admin at example.com

See: