[arch-general] USB power cut in early userspace since recent update

Sebastian Lipp bacuh at riseup.net
Tue Jun 24 19:34:15 EDT 2014

Hi

Since yesterdays pacman -Syu I'm unable to boot my system the usual
way. My observation on that is the following.

In early userspace the USB port's power gets cut for around a second
which is indicated by the LED of the external drive I'm booting
from. Therefore - as I further assume - recognition of the drive gets
lost and decrypting and mounting of root is not possible. When I
(un)plug the drive both actions get recognized as such but the device(s)
don't get registered.

I already guessed and tried to

1. reinstall syslinux bootloader,
2. (realize the power cut and) downgrade kernel,
3. downgrade (lib)systemd and
4. mkinitcpio

from a chroot and reboot between each of the steps. Nothing of that
helped.

I will attach a grep of my pacman.log to show which pkgs where
upgraded. There were no errors logged. I will happily provide any
further information that might help directing me towards debugging and
fixing that problem.

Getting rid of the intermediate USB gets me rid of the described
problem which is obviously no permanent solution.

Thanks a lot.
basti