[arch-general] systemd-nspawn/systemd-networkd/

Jakub Klinkovský j.l.k at gmx.com
Fri Mar 7 11:00:40 EST 2014

On 07.03.14 at 12:28, arnaud gaboury wrote:

> > I've had a quick look at systemd-networkd, and I don't think it would be
> > significantly different to set up than netctl in your case. I think the problem
> > was one of theory: I don't know how much reading you've done, but you need
> > to understand some theory of the networking stack, network interfaces,
> > bridges etc... before you can make a sensible configuration. I think that's
> > beyond the scope of the documentation for most of these tools, although it
> > would certainly make sense for the wiki to document some common use-cases.
> >
> > Paul
>
> I read a lot, especially when it comes to networking. As for me, it is
> the trickiest part of administrating my machine. I found many posts
> asking help about bridge, and I realized I was far from being the only
> one to have trouble with this notion. The more detailed WIKI I found
> about a correct bridge set up was on parabolagnulinux qemu wiki[1].
> Usually Arch and parabola wiki are quite similar, but this time I
> found more info.
> I know systemd-networkd can be used for my container. For now, I am
> enjoying the container with netctl. I was not successful with
> networkd, as I do not fully understand the principle. I don't even
> know which profile for wich machine (host or container) !
> I have a lot of work to do now on container, as it will be a test
> server for writing/deploying web apps.
> TY for your kindness and support.
>
> [1]https://wiki.parabolagnulinux.org/QEMU_Guide

I can't see any fundamental difference between [2] and [3], though admittedly
the Parabola wiki is more verbose and the topic is integrated into single
bloated article, whereas Arch wiki has the information split across multiple
pages - this is actually considered to be a good thing; plus every Archer should
be used to this. (But of course nothing is perfect, any improvements are
certainly welcome.)

As has been said, you should look into networking more generally - for example,
QEMU page on Arch wiki [4] describes several scenarios usable with
VMs/containers, though you probably don't want to use the QEMU-specific stuff.
If you want something more, look into the kernel docs [5].

[2]: https://wiki.parabolagnulinux.org/QEMU_Guide#Using_virtual_machines_for_use_servers_from_OS_guests_.28bridge-mode_networking_using_qemu-bridge-helper.29
[3]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bridge_with_netctl
[4]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU#Networking
[5]: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/networking/bridge