[arch-general] doubts about rolling release

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 05:25:39 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 12 Mar 2014 15:21:23 Ary Kleinerman wrote:
> I'm thinking to use Arch for an Asterisk server. Nowadays I'm using
> Ubuntu 12.04LTS, but I can see all distribution changing to the new
> init system (systemd). I wanna change all my scripts to be compatible
> with systemd. Furthermore, my services use MySQL, so I think it's a
> good moment to migrate them to MariaDB. In short, I'll use Arch but
> I'll have a virtual server (for testing purposes) to make change there
> and then if all go okay, I'll apply the updates to the production
> environment.

This will work fine so long as you're aware that you can't install an Arch system and
then forget about it for a few months. You have to update it every couple of weeks,
at least. It needs more regular care than Ubuntu, or you could make things hard to
yourself when you do come to update it.

FYI, I think MariaDB is a drop-in replacement. Even the tools still use the "mysql"
name; e.g. mysql_upgrade. You probably don't need to do anything special in your
scripts.

Paul