[arch-general] Fwd: Installing Archlinux alongside Ubuntu on aWindows8 UEFI laptop

Delcypher delcypher at gmail.com
Mon May 5 11:21:17 EDT 2014

> I tried several times, without any change to the boot menu.  The SDD device
> (perhaps a specific part)   and also a "windows boot manager" are items in
> a menu when  rebooting with Advanced Startup from Windows.
>
> The steps I used were:
>
>     - Ran grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>     - changed the permissions of that file to +w
>     - re-ran grub-mkconfig

Why are you doing this? You generally shouldn't need to set the +w on
/boot/grub/grub.cfg. It should be set correctly for from the
beginning. Remember you should be root or using sudo when running
grub-mkconfig to write to /boot/grub/grub.cfg

$ ls -l /boot/grub/grub.cfg
-rw------- 1 root root 6209 Apr 22 18:29 /boot/grub/grub.cfg

>          Each time I ran this, it saw the Arch partition.  And each time I
> booted, this was not found in the grub menu at boot time.  It was shown as

1. You should check the contents /boot/grub/grub.cfg actually contains
the menu entries for Arch Linux
2. If you do see Arch Linux the menu entries in /boot/grub/grub.cfg
but then don't see them at boot then that mostly likely means
/boot/grub does not contain the grub files you are actually using at
boot time (i.e. your /boot is mounting the wrong thing!). Either that
or the menu you're looking at when booting isn't even GRUB!