[arch-general] systemd-run --user does not work

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Mon May 12 10:17:48 EDT 2014

Hello, list!

This is an issue that has been nagging me for a while, and I thought
that it was something I did to my machine, until I tested it in
another Arch installation, and it is all the same.

The problem is when I run for example:

 $ systemd-run --user /usr/bin/ls
Failed to create bus connection: No such file or directory

I would expect it to run the command and save the output in the
journal, just as the --system counterpart does.

You could think that the systemd user daemon is not running properly, but:

 $ systemctl --user

works perfectly. Moreover, if I create a user unit as
~/.config/systemd/user/test.service and start it with `systemctl
--user start test` it works, too.

I know that systemd user sessions are still a bit of experimental, but
I don't see any reason why systemctl works and systemd-run does not.
Is this a bug? Or am I missing something?

--
Rodrigo