[arch-general] Java 8

Guillaume ALAUX guillaume at archlinux.org
Sat May 31 16:24:02 EDT 2014

On 29 March 2014 01:02, Guillaume ALAUX <guillaume at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 28 March 2014 18:30, Caleb Cushing <xenoterracide at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm just wondering what the plan is, if any,  for getting java 8
> > packages into arch?
> >
> > --
> > Caleb Cushing
> >
> > http://xenoterracide.com
> >
> > Calendar:
> > https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=xenoterracide%40gmail.com&ctz=America/Chicago
>
> Hello,
>
> There is no official Java 8 package in Arch Linux because the OpenJDK
> we provide uses the IcedTea [0] but unfortunately IcedTea has no
> stable version available **yet** for Java 8. More details about
> IcedTea roadmap here [1]. So the plan (for me at least) is to wait for
> IcedTea 3.0 that will support Java 8. Shipping a "vanilla" OpenJDK8
> into extra (possibly from the binaries provided by Oracle) could be an
> option in the meantime.
>
> [0] http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/Main_Page
> [1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2014-March/026727.html
>
> --
> Guillaume

Hi Caleb, hi everyone,

People interested in available JDK in Arch Linux can test this
experimental unofficial repository [0] in which lie packages for
OpenJDK7, OpenJDK8 and Oracle JRE/JDK 8 that do not conflict with each
other. They come with a set of "meta" packages that hold common files
as well as a simple script "archlinux-java" that enables to switch
default JDKs. Use of this script is optional as it only modifies the
following link "/usr/lib/jvm/java-default-runtime": this can easily be
done by hand.

Issues, remarks, feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[0] http://pkgbuild.com/~guillaume/repos/jdk/

--
Guillaume