[arch-projects] rc.conf documentation

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Dec 25 12:07:21 EST 2011

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 16:55:23 +0100
Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

> Hi Dieter,
>
> On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Dieter Plaetinck
> <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> > Also I notice there is no manpage for rc.conf.
> > How can we improve this situation?  Maybe by maintaining a man page
> > for rc.conf which is as extensive as what currently in the official
> > install guide? then, in the official installation guide, I can just
> > refer to the rc.conf manpage, meaning the documentation is always
> > in sync, at the same time it would also allow to make the
> > documentation in rc.conf a bit more minimal.
>
> Thanks for caring about this.
>
> I think a manpage would make the most sense. I try to update the wiki
> when i remember, but I definitely have forgotten in the past. A
> manpage would be much simpler to keep up to date (as we'd change the
> documentation when we commit the change to the code, rather than when
> the code is released).
>
> If anyone would like to work on this I'd be very happy. Otherwise, I'd
> put it on my TODO list...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Well, I can help.  I'm working on a new archiso release and for that I need up to date rc.conf docs
(well, need is a big word.  let's say it helps me making our users a bit happier)
if somebody has a basic manpage template I can help fill in blanks / make corrections etc.
most of the content is already available at https://github.com/Dieterbe/aif/blob/develop/doc/official_installation_guide_en#L510
and http://projects.archlinux.org/initscripts.git/tree/rc.conf but I just need a starting point.

I tried using rc.d.8.txt as starting point but I fail:

18:05:22 dieter at Gi tmp master ? curl http://projects.archlinux.org/initscripts.git/tree/rc.d.8.txt > rc.d.8.txt
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 11607    0 11607    0     0  39969      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 69921
18:05:29 dieter at Gi tmp master ? a2x -d manpage -f manpage rc.d.8.txt
a2x: ERROR: /usr/bin/asciidoc.py --backend docbook -a a2x-format=manpage  --doctype manpage  --out-file /home/dieter/tmp/rc.d.8.xml /home/dieter/tmp/rc.d.8.txt returned non-zero exit status 1
18:05:45 dieter at Gi tmp master ? pacman -Qo a2x                                                                                                                                                                                            1 ↵
/usr/bin/a2x is owned by asciidoc 8.6.6-2

Dieter