[arch-projects] [netctl] Suggestion: support for ppp and mobile broadband

Robbie Smith zoqaeski at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 11:03:38 EDT 2013

I only discovered netctl today, and from what I’ve read in the wiki,
mailing lists, and the code, it sounds like a really interesting
project. Kudos to all the devs behind it!

One feature I’m certainly after (and would be definitely willing to
write/port/test) is support for mobile broadband connections using pppd.
netcfg has basic support for this, and I hacked together some scripts
and profiles based on information in the wiki and elsewhere that would
establish a connection to a USB modem. I put the scripts up on the
AUR[1], if anyone is interested.

Lately I’ve been exploring systemd’s possibilities[2] and have been
trying to encourage it, netcfg, and pppd to cooperate a little
better[3]. If some of those ideas could be incorporated into netctl,
that would be brilliant.

As I mentioned above, I’m willing to write or port (and document) the
necessary code, though I’m not particularly sure where to start, be it
writing it or making it conform to Arch standards. I’ve used Linux for
years, but I’m new to contributing as I’m more of a user than a programmer.

Robbie

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/netcfg-ppp-mobile-git/
[2] https://github.com/zoqaeski/systemd-user-units
[3]