[aur-dev] pkgbase queries via RPC interface

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Fri Aug 15 22:46:58 EDT 2014

On 2014-08-14 08:45 -0400
Dave Reisner wrote:

>> Incidentally, shouldn't the optdepends be returned as an object?
>> E.g.
>>
>> {"foolib":"support for foo", "bar":"pub functionality"}
>
>Why? makepkg requires that optdeps are well formed. Splitting them in the
>response here seems like an arbitrary decision. Why not also then split
>depends, in case they're versioned? What about the pkgver and pkgrel (which
>are combined)?

I see the optdeps as a set of key-value pairs that lends itself naturally to a
JSON object.

I would actually be in favor of splitting deps and the combined pkgver just for
the sake of returning a full digest of the information instead of a partial one
that leaves the rest to the user, but it's admittedly trivial and probably a
waste of CPU cycles on the server so I'm not actually suggesting it.

Thinking about it, I also realize that it wouldn't work for ranged deps, e.g.
(foo>=3.0, foo<4.0) without relatively complex objects.