[aur-dev] Renaming the AUR

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Thu Jan 29 08:37:56 UTC 2015

Hi,

Currently, we use the term "AUR" for both the collection of
user-supplied source packages and the software that helps with accessing
and modifying these packages which causes quite some misunderstandings.
Earlier, it was suggested to use "[unsupported]" for the collection of
packages and "AUR" for the software but I don't really like that
terminology (makes the source package repository look like a repository
of binary packages and calls the software "repository").

Here is what I suggest: Keep using the term "AUR" for the collection of
packages and rename the software to "aurweb" (borrowing from archweb).

What would need to be changed:

* The name of the aur.git repository would become aurweb.git.

* Several references in the AUR(web) source code need to be fixed, the
  header will still refer to the Arch User Repository.

* Some uses of "AUR" in the Arch wiki need to be brought in line with
  the new terminology.

Any other suggestions for a name? Is there anything I missed?

I already changed the name of the AUR project to "AUR web interface" on
Flyspray.  Maybe that helps with reducing the number of AUR package bug
reports in the tracker.

Regards,
Lukas