[aur-dev] Difficulties setting up local aurweb server

Marcel Korpel marcel.korpel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 20:42:40 UTC 2015

Hi,

I tried to setup an nginx server locally for testing aurweb, but I
encountered several difficulties.

I wanted to start with a clean setup, so first, I deleted the aur user
in my system and database and the AUR database in MySQL, that were still
lingering around from earlier development (using Apache). Then I
installed nginx and made these changes to /etc/nginx/nginx.conf:

    server {
        listen       8888;
        server_name  localhost;

        location / {
            root   /srv/http/aurweb/web/html;
            index  index.html index.htm;
        }

        location ~ .* {
            rewrite ^/(.*)$ /index.php/$1 last;
        }
    […]

I want to use port 8888, as I still run Apache on port 80 (and Tomcat
on 8080). When using the default configuration, so with root pointing to
the nginx directory and without the location rewriting, the default
welcome page appears when heading to localhost:8888.

I copied conf/config.proto to conf/config and adjusted the
configuration. A copy is at http://pastebin.com/D1XbnJK1 (and yes, the
database password is correct).

I created a new MySQL database AUR and user aur and imported the schema
according to INSTALL, step 4. Everything went fine. Awful phpmyadmin
showed me the newly created database.

I added a new user to my system and initialized the Git repo. Also did
step 7 (installed git-auth wrapper script).

Then I stumbled upon the necessity of using OpenSSH 6.9: it's not in
[core] and even openssh-git in the AUR let me build a version
6.8something. Oh well, I don't need an sshd just to tinker with the web
interface, the dummy data will be enough, was my assumption. BTW,
copying the instructions to generate and load the test data from an
earlier version of INSTALL would be helpful (I've still a copy around,
so I can create a patch, if needed).

However, I went again to localhost:8888 but got a 500 error. When
commenting out the rewrite part, I got a 403 Forbidden. I already
looked in the logs, but I can only see an access.log that shows me my
visits.

Any clue of what I did wrong is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Marcel