[aur-dev] Display of alternative source name instead of URL on packages' web pages

Lukas Fleischer lfleischer at archlinux.org
Sat Oct 31 13:43:58 UTC 2015

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 at 17:21:43, Johannes Löthberg wrote:
> On 27/10, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> >> I would suggest to use:

> >Also, if your browser does not know how to handle the git+https
> >protocol, that is a client configuration issue and not a server issue
> >(if you consider that an issue at all).
> >

> Well, the vcs+url thing is makepkg-specific and won't work with eg git
> either though.
> [...]

At least git+ssh:// and ssh+git:// work fine with Git. From transport.c
in the Git source tree:

    } else if (!is_url(url)
            || starts_with(url, "file://")
            || starts_with(url, "git://")
            || starts_with(url, "ssh://")
            || starts_with(url, "git+ssh://")
            || starts_with(url, "ssh+git://")) {
            /*
             * These are builtin smart transports; "allowed" transports
             * will be checked individually in git_connect.
             */

git+https probably doesn't work by default but I do not see why we
should add a special case for that and pretend that the URL "works as a
website" while it is intended to be a Git clone URL.