[aur-dev] Frequent ipv6 timeouts

Colin Woodbury colingw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 21:10:10 UTC 2016

Something is amiss.

I'm the author of Aura, and I've had users come to me in droves recently
saying that Aura:

1. Can't connect to the AUR
2. Doesn't recognize legitimate packages as AUR packages
3. Can't install/upgrade, etc

And so I dove into my [http libraries](
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/aur) and tested the hell out of
everything. After some tweaks, everything seemed to work. Until it didn't.

More manual testing has shown me that when resolving requests to the RPC
via ipv6, most calls timeout/hang. I'm seeing this through my libraries,
through firefox, and through curl. However, when forcing the request to
resolve via ipv4, it always succeeds:

```
curl -4 "https://aur.archlinux.org/rpc?v=5&type=search&arg=foobar"
```

The following forum posts touch on the same problem:

* [Ssl and ipv6](https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=210932)
* [AUR being screwy](https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=206820)

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour? For the record, I'm on the west
coast of North America.