[aur-dev] Stop limiting the height of AUR comments?

Mark Weiman mark.weiman at markzz.com
Fri Mar 10 22:08:43 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 17:58 -0600, Nicholas Sielicki via aur-dev wrote:
> lfleischer suggested (on the thread quoted above) that one potiential solution
> could be a link towards the bottom of long comments that ties into javascript,
> where one could click to expand it. I think that's a much better solution--
> provided that the full contents of the comment would still be accessibile in a
> browser without javascript. eg: page is served with fully visible comments,
> long comments are hidden by javascript after it loads.

My only criticism is that if a comment is extremely long, then you would either
have to refresh the stupid page to make it manageable again or collapse it (if
that's available).

I personally am in favor of limiting the length of comments entirely and just
making people use services like Gist or pastebin for log/console output or
patches.

> Personally, I think the best solution would be to just revert the change
> entirely. I disagree with the notion that long comments are "usually useless".
> I think that more often than not, the opposite is actually true-- longer
> comments typically are the ones that contain fixes/patches for broken AUR
> pkgbuilds. Not to mention, comments on aurweb are already paginated after 10
> comments-- that alone keeps the page (relatively) short.

The reason this was added was because people would paste in ridiculously long
comments that made the comments section huge and unmanageable.

And by ridiculously long comments, there was one I saw that is now deleted that
was hundreds of lines long.

If this change is reverted, I would like to see something replace it rather than
just leaving it the way it was.

Mark Weiman