[aur-general] Tarball Guidelines

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 6 20:58:25 CET 2010

On 6 December 2010 22:47, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 03:20:06PM +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
>> In most cases there's a reason for having binaries, icons and the like
>> in a package. And whether such a package actually has a bad quality or
>> its contents are necessary can't be decided by a bot.
>
> In _all_ cases, binaries are not permissable as stated by the AUR
> guidelines [1]. Your opinion doesn't change this. A proposal to amend the
> guidelines can.

Binaries here means binary executables. Nobody told us to read between
the lines to pick out technical file types (of which an image file
would be a 'binary file').

In the same manner, even if a set of Python scripts is not comprised
of 'binary files', they _are_ executables and should be contained in a
tarball linked online.

Bash (or rather any interpreted language) scripts can be included if
they are to be part of the distribution framework, eg. init scripts.
Of course, by common understanding, if there is a set of Bash scripts
which form a 'project' or 'application', they should be uploaded
somewhere.

There is no need to ammend the guidelines. We have been including
desktop files, images (needed by the desktop files most of the time)
and init scripts all along, because it should be a common
understanding.

find /var/abs -name *.png | wc -l == 60