[aur-general] Moving packages to Community

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Sat Feb 5 14:05:35 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 11:45:20AM -0700, Thomas S Hatch wrote:
> Greg, You have a valid point, personally I have always asked the maintainer
> of a package for objections before moving a package into community. I also
> want to continue to express my deep gratitude for the packagers who
> contribute to the AUR. They are really the frontline in Arch development,
> the blood on the knife's edge.
>
> We as trusted users need to show the devs in the AUR the utmost respect and
> appreciation. I would also like to point out:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TU_Person_Specification
> All TUs we should adhere to the first bullet under "At Least" on this wiki
> entry.
>
> I hope that my fellow TUs agree that we should give AUR contributors the
> utmost respect, they deserve it.
>
> A behavior of respect will help us, the TUs, improve Arch, it will allow us
> to bring more people onto the Arch development teams, and continue our march
> to making Arch greater.

I personally asked for objections using AUR comments in most cases and
waited some days before moving stuff. Nevertheless, I don't see a huge
problem with just moving stuff. Moving a package to the binary repos
shouldn't be regarded as stealing but as an improvement for the
community. The AUR ain't a place for competitions (like "Which package
has the most votes?" or "Who maintains the coolest packages?") but a
place to provide source packages until a TU/Dev steps up and maintains
the package in [community]/[extra]/[core].

Still, I'd prefer to have some announcement before moving a package. And
another one just before removing it (so that users being notified about
a package become aware of the move). AUR comments seem to be the
appropriate place for this.