[aur-general] [aur general] Seeking the TU wisdom

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 17:29:49 EST 2011

Ok, I have a bit of a problem with a pair of packages, puppet and facter.

As it stands the puppet package in the aur is broken, it builds but it does
not run properly. The puppet package in the AUR is configured to run on ruby
1.9, puppet does not run properly on ruby 1.9 yet, and the pacman plugin for
puppet that is supplied with the package no longer works properly. The
package has also been out of date for a few weeks.

I have contacted the maintainer and I was promised that my fixes would be
applied, but they were not, so I made a duplicate, puppet-ruby1.8 and
facter-ruby1.8, I am using these packages in production and they work very
well.

I even open up a github account, forked Miah's puppet package, applied the
changes and requested a pull as requested.

But the package remains out of date and broken, so my question is this, does
this constitute grounds for having a TU orphan the packages so I can update
them, make them work, and get rid of my duplicates? Or should I continue
more diplomatically?

-Tom Hatch