[aur-general] List for new package announcements?

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 22:23:23 EST 2011

2011/1/13 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>

> On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 18:55 +0000, Peter Lewis wrote:
> > Okay. Let's wait for a few more opinions - this wouldn't have to be just
> AUR
> > either. New stuff in the binary repos could be included too.
> >
> > Pete.
>
> There ARE no new packages in the binary repos =p. From what I've seen,
> everything starts life in the AUR (as an alpha/beta of something).
> Anything that goes into the binary repos is discussed on
> [arch-dev-public] first.

Right everything does start in the AUR, but if a package is moving from the
AUR into community, it is probably a noteworthy package, and a noteworthy
event - and I want to hear about it.

Also, when there is a major update to a package, I would love to hear about
it.

Maintaining a radar on the vast array of open source software packages is
hard, but this strikes me as one of the best ways for us to be given simple
news, presented by the people packaging the software.

This would also make a great place for the packager to let the rest of the
community know about their latest packages, and why they bothered to package
them at all.

-Tom Hatch