[aur-general] Is it okay to mark broken packages out-of-date on AUR?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Jan 16 14:46:15 EST 2011

On 16/01/11 17:35, Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi Sven-Hendrik,
>
>>> Some maintainers seem to see that differently. They want a comment _and_
>>> the out-of-date button to be pressed, if the package is broken. Do not
>>> know why. To me this is annoying.
>>
>> That way, they show up in your overview which is handy if you get rid of
>> the comment mails for some reason.
>
> yes, exactly. Just consider the 'arch-haskell' user, which owns some 2,000
> packages. The "My packages" list for that user is spread out over 80
> separate pages! It's impossible for me to log into AUR and locate those
> packages that need maintenance by checking the comment sections of 2,000
> packages.
>
> Packages that are marked out-of-date, on the other hand, have an index of
> their own, so those are way easier to find.

This email airs a bit of the "dirty laundry" of the ArchHaskell project.  I
hope you don't mind.

AUR has a few shortcomings.  Not having any link to an issue tracker, but
instead dealing with everything through comments, is arguably one of them.
Scaling, in the sense of a single user with *MANY* packages, is another.
But Peter you have yourself, just a few days ago, removed all but ~80
packages
out of the ArchHaskell ABS tree, and declared those removed packages as
*unsupported*.  That means you've effectively removed the issue of
scaling for
ArchHaskell yourself.  At least for the moment.  Dealing with errors in the
remaining ~80 packages will be quite possible by just creating an issue
in our
github issue tracker on those rare occasions (they are rare by definition
since we provide a repo of pre-built packages).

Given this I think this particular discussion is completely pointless at
this
point in time.  When we start adding many more packages, and we don't
ourselves build those packages, then this is problem is likely to re-appear.
However, the ArchHaskell project would first need make yet another
180-degree
turn on its goals.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org