[aur-general] Request to add a rule

Peter Lewis plewis at aur.archlinux.org
Fri Oct 28 04:24:11 EDT 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Christopher luna wrote:

> This is (again) about forbidding urls to warez on pkgbuilds on AUR.

Hi. Please don't break threads though by starting new ones.

> probably you people have seen the discussion on the forum.
>
> But is not going anyware.
> Now, I think ewaller, hitted the nail in the head when said:
>
> "If you don't have explicit permission to copy and distribute, you may not copy and distribute. Period."
>
> I think something as easy like that would solve it all.

I don't think so, since AUR packages do not distribute code.

Take a look at my cedega package for one approach:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ce/cedega/PKGBUILD

but this is probably overkill for most cases.

Just do what Ionut suggested earlier, put the name of the downloaded file in the
source array, but without the URL, so that users have to already have or
download the file themselves before running makepkg.

Putting a rule to this effect for any/all non-free software would make sense to
me.

Pete.