[aur-general] PKGBUILD for talking-clock

Ike Devolder ike.devolder at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 13:47:41 EST 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 01:29:25PM -0500, Storm Dragon wrote:
> # Contributor: Storm Dragon <aur at stormdragon.us>
> pkgname=talking-clock
> pkgver=20121112
> pkgrel=1
> pkgdesc="Highly configurable clock written in bash with soundpack and voice options."
> arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
> url="http://github.com/stormdragon2976/talking-clock"
> license=('GPL')
> depends=('bash')
> makedepends=('git')
> optdepends=('espeak: TTS support'
> 	'festival: TTS support'
> 	'speech-dispatcher: TTS support'
> 	'svox-pico-git: TTS support'
> 	'pulseaudio: Chime sound support'
> 	'sox: Chime sound support'
> 	'vorbis-tools: Chime sound support'
> 'yad: for talking-clock-gui to work')
> provides=(talking-clock,talking-clock-gui)
should be: provides=('talking-clock' 'talking-clock-gui')
> conflicts=(talking-clock,talking-clock-gui)
same remark as before
> replaces=(talking-clock,talking-clock-gui)
same remark as before
> source=(https://github.com/stormdragon2976/talking-clock)
> md5sums=('81c45b81f4ce5617a79005e9370a2845')
no need for md5sums when using scm

> _gitroot="https://github.com/stormdragon2976/talking-clock"
i think this should be:
_gitroot="https://github.com/stormdragon2976/talking-clock.git"
> _gitname="talking-clock"
>
> build() {
>   cd $srcdir/
this line is not really needed since the build function will sit in
$srcdir already

>   install -d $pkgdir/usr/bin
move this into a package() function
> msg "Connecting to the Git repository..."
>
>   if [[ -d "$srcdir/$_gitname" ]] ; then
>     cd "$_gitname"
>     git pull origin
>     msg "The local files are updated"
>   else
>     git clone --depth 1 $_gitroot
>   fi
the cloning belongs in the build function

>   msg "Installing..."
>
>   rm -rf "$srcdir/$_gitname-build"
>   cp -a "$srcdir/$_gitname" "$srcdir/$_gitname-build"
why remove and copy the source if you are not building anything ?

>   cd "$srcdir/$_gitname-build"
if you are not really building this should be
cd "$srcdir/$_gitname"

>   install -d $pkgdir/usr/bin
>  install -d $pkgdir/usr/share/talking-clock
>   install -m755 src/talking-clock $pkgdir/usr/bin
>   install -m755 talking-clock-gui/talking-clock-gui $pkgdir/usr/bin
>   install -m666 README $pkgdir/usr/share/talking-clock
>   install -m755 src/bell.ogg $pkgdir/usr/share/talking-clock
all the install stuff is best run from the package function
>   }
>
> # vim:set ts=2 sw=2 et:

> Hi,
> This is my first package to the AUR. The Arch Wiki says if I am at all unsure to submit my work to the AUR list for review, so, here it is lol.
> This seems right to me, the only thing I am wondering about is the md5sums part. It pulls from git, so the md5sum seems like it will change with every update. Is there a way to skip the check automatically, or a way to stay up to date with changes in the md5sum?
> Thanks
> Storm
> --
> Registered Linux user number 508465: https://linuxcounter.net/user/508465.html
> My blog, Thoughts of a Dragon: http://www.stormdragon.us/
> Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stormdragon2976
> "We sail the endless oceans, we sail the raging seas. The quest is never ending, it leads us to destiny."
> Alestorm- The Quest
  ^^ gotta love this :)

usually we have an empty md5sums array when using vcs source.
just a cosmetic remark, when indenting try to make sure you indent the
same amount of spaces everywhere.

did you test this pkgbuild ?

--
Ike