[aur-general] TU Application - Felix Yan

Felix Yan felixonmars at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 11:04:22 EDT 2012

Dear archers,

I was looking for a sponsor in August 2012 [1], and thank Jonathan
Steel for contacting me right after he became a new TU. He helps me a
lot and I'm keeping clean up and improve my PKGBUILDs in AUR with his
suggestions. I think I can do more than as a user, so I am now
applying to become a Trusted User, after some knowledge & skills
preparing in the last few weeks. Bartłomiej Piotrowski has kindly
sponsored me (just today :P and thanks a lot).

I love Arch mainly because of the PKGBUILD. Never could I find another
great and simple-enough to write description file of an easy-to-use
package manager. I never created a successful package in .deb although
I was a Ubuntu and PPA user for more than two years(Hmm, my lack of
knowledge in bash & English should also be a problem at that time).
When I began to use Arch, I was impressed deeply by pacman(A lot of
points are in "ILoveCandy", although :P) and that's why I switched all
my workspaces to Arch.

I have been an Archer only for one year and a half but 4 for the Linux
world. I submitted my first package by the end of last year, and
maintain more and more during the last a few months (61 for now [2],
with a total of 460 votes). I am eager to maintain packages that loved
and needed by Chinese users as I am one too, such as input
methods(fcitx-*, ibus-*, sunpinyin, libpinyin, rime, etc), internet
supplicant in Chinese universities(mentohust/ruijieclient), chat tools
qq related(linuxqq, webqq, libqq*, etc) and popular proxy tools
(sshuttle, goagent, etc). As I am a python programmer and maintaining
more than 20 python libraries I use for now, I'm also ready for some
popular python libraries. I'll take those orphans in [community] (or
possibly [extra] if approved and moved) in these cases, too.

I am also a good user in keeping active in reporting and following
issues upstream, such as pidgin-lwqq [3].

As I looked after more and more packages on AUR I found many users not
so convenient to install so many packages in AUR, so I joined
archlinuxcn's community repository project [4] to provide popular
packages in binary. But this is not good for user to involve in (such
as flag out-of-date, report bugs, etc). It could be a lot better if I
could move the most popular ones into [community] so users does not
need to manually add a (not fully-trusted) third-party community
repository.

I am also an IT manager in work, and maintaining several Arch servers.

I only use x86_64 architecture but keep an eye on i686 as some of the
old hardwares are not ready for 64-bit. I have several popular WM/DEs
installed but using XFCE mostly.

I am a wine user and keep an eye on its fresh news. Although I am not
using any wine programs too much, I sometimes play osu! or TESV:
Skyrim under wine.

Some more info about me: 21, male, Wuhan in China, working in a
startup, not very good at C and English, but trying to keep them in a
package-ready level :P A classical music lover, and also accept some
of the NewAge.

Thank you for your time in reading my application.

[1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2012-August/020104.html
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O=0&K=felixonmars&do_Search=Go&detail=1&C=0&SeB=m&SB=n&SO=a&PP=100&outdated=
[3] https://github.com/xiehuc/pidgin-lwqq/issues?page=1&state=closed  (Chinese)

Kind regards,