[aur-general] Merging request.

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 20:56:16 EDT 2013

On 24 Aug 2013 07:23, "William Gathoye" <william at gathoye.be> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> >> Could elementary-icons-bzr be merged into
> >> elementary-icon-theme-bzr to be in sync with
> >> elementary-icon-theme from [community] ?
> >>

> > Merged, thx.
> >

> Let me join the discussion here, as I'm concerned by this merge.
>
> I've installed the elementary-icons-bzr package a few days ago from
> the AUR repository. After the merge to elementary-icon-theme-bzr
> occurred, with the current AUR implementation, the AUR helpers like
> yaourt cannot intercept a warning from the AUR stating that the
> package name has changed.
>
> It's a good thing I've subscribed to this mailing list and I'm reading
> all messages that transit via my mailbox. Without this subscription, I
> wouldn't have been aware of that name change and my package would
> remain installed and become outdated with time.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? How to prevent that to happen? Is there a
> tool to circumvent this AUR implementation problem?

It's not an implementation problem, it's a usage problem. If you subscribe
to notifications from the package you'd receive a notification. Good aur
tools can always alert you if the package is no longer found. Ask their
developers.

The aur is not supposed to be used as just another repository (like how
yaourt and Co pretend it is), more manual intervention is needed.