[aur-general] Request for comments: new tdom package - replace or additional git

Limao Luo luolimao at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 19:24:53 EST 2013

On 01/28/2013 06:58 PM, Uwe Koloska wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since I'm really new to archlinux and the AUR

Welcome to Arch!
>   I would like to get some
> comments on my first package, derived from an existing one:
>    https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tdom/
> Since the update to tcl 8.6 it is not possible to build the package.
>
> Their is no current tagged version so I have created a git-version of
> the PKGBUILD:
>    https://gist.github.com/4614862
>
> So besides any comment to make the PKGBUILD better,

You can smoosh that package function into:
https://gist.github.com/4660513

(Just remember to quote anything involving $srcdir, for the same reason
you quoted $pkgdir)

>   I have the following
> questions:

> What's best: make a new package tdom-git that uses the github master
> branch or just change the current package?
>
> Or make a "stable" package that uses the last tagged version and patch
> the support for tcl 8.6?  (and maybe make a git package too)
You can both make a -git version and update the current one; they're
treated independently.
Although, what tags are you using? I believe you mentioned above that
they weren't tagged...?
> The current maintainer wants to hand over the package.  What are the
> right steps for this?

There's no way to "hand over" the package, per se; the best you can do
is have the maintainer orphan the package and you can then scoop it up
immediately. Of course, expressing your intent on this mailing list is a
good step.
> Best regards
> Uwe
Same to you; good luck! ;]