[aur-general] TU Application

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Wed Jan 30 23:46:01 EST 2013

On 01/30/2013 03:09 PM, Maxime Gauduin wrote:
> I realize I may not be as skilled as most current TUs, as I do not know any
> language and am not a developper. However I know my way around bash very
> well. I really enjoy writing PKGBUILDs for apps I'm using, and poking
> around when something does not work.

Bash is a language =)  It has "if" and "for" and functions and variables!

(even if it's not a very good language.  Let's say you have the name of
a file you need to remove, stored in a variable?  This is how:
     rm -- "$VARIABLE"
Every use of a variable must be surrounded in double-quotes unless you
have considered the consequences of splitting it by the value of IFS and
decided this to be safe and desirable.  `man rm` explains "--", a
feature which most but not all shell commands offer.  And (depending on
your risk model) what if PATH is odd and contains an `rm` binary that
does something else?  Robustness/security is always complicated, but
most languages don't have this sort of pitfall =)

-Isaac