[aur-general] Are split packages ok for aur.

Maxime Gauduin alucryd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 08:37:17 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 14:28 +0200, Gary van der Merwe wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is it OK to submit split packages to aur, using the workaround used by
> linux-zen (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/li/linux-zen/PKGBUILD)?
>
> This is the PKGBUILD I would like to submit: http://fpaste.org/23879/
>
> Are there any implications that I need to take into account? How do
> aur helpers handle split packages?
>
> (I started reading this bug report to try find the answers:
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16394 , but there is much noise and
> little signal, hence I'm asking here.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

Yes it is ok. Some AUR helpers support this to some extent, but the only
supported way of dealing with the AUR is makepkg anyway. BTW, you might
want to list all depends present in the sub packages into the global
makedepends (except the sub packages themselves of course), iirc those
depends will not be installed at build time otherwise (someone correct
me if I'm wrong).

Cheers,

--
Maxime