[aur-general] Problem with a package maintainer / versioning in the PKGBUILD [ponymix-git]

Sam Stuewe halosghost at archlinux.info
Sat Jul 13 18:29:28 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-13 16:10, Richard Schwab wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> today I noticed that there was a newer PKGBUILD for the package
> ponymix-git
> available, because I noticed an update in the package on another
> system.
> After that I wondered why I didn't see an update notification in cower
> and
> noticed that the package version I had installed was recognized as
> greater
> version number than the new version.
>
> [2013-07-13 16:48] [PACMAN] downgraded ponymix-git (20130329-1 ->
> 1.2.g60328ca-1)
>
> After seeing that I contacted the maintainer and asked him to add an
> epoch
> ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#epoch ) to the PKGBUILD
> to have
> it recognizing the newer version, but he refused to do so, telling me
> he'd be
> aware of how the versions are compared and told me to "complain to
> every other
> maintainer on the AUR that their VCS package needs an epoch".
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ponymix-git/

I mean, the AUR is unsupported, and the maintainer of ponymix-git is
falconcindy. If you don't like it, you can add the epoch to the PKGBUILD
manually and use that, but it seems simpler to just let pacman think
that it's downgrading the package this time and not have to deal with
epochs in the future.

All the best,

-Sam