[aur-general] gettext and intl directory

Chirantan Ekbote chirantan.ekbote at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 00:53:59 EDT 2013

Hello,

I am the maintainer for the git version of Midnight Commander[1].  Since
the release of gettext 0.18.3, building midnight commander fails with
the following error:

    configure.ac:497: error: required file 'intl/Makefile.in' not found
    Makefile.am:4: error: required directory ./intl does not exist
    lib/Makefile.am: installing 'config/depcomp'
    parallel-tests: installing 'config/test-driver'
    automake failed to generate Makefile.in

It seems that gettext is not creating the intl directory, which is
required by mc.  If I downgrade to gettext 0.18.2.1 and try to build,
then it seems that the intl directory is properly created and the build
succeeds.  My question is: since this change of behavior happens with the
latest version, is this a bug with gettext or with midnight commander?

I am not very familiar with gettext and I haven't been able to find any
relevant documentation on the internets so any insight would be very
useful.

Thank you,
Chirantan

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mc-git/