[aur-general] TU application

Daniel Micay danielmicay at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 14:20:40 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
> On 2013-07-27 18:31 +0200
> Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
>
>>> Discussion period has ended. Start the voting:
>>> https://aur.archlinux.org/tu/?id=69
>>Le voting period has ended. Dicebot-san is now officially Dicebot-sama!
>>Let's perform our ritual new-TU-group-hug. Congratulations!
>
> I'm sorry to have to point this out, but the proposal has not been accepted
> according to our bylaws. I was going to post the final tally on the list as per
> custom:
>
> yes: 18
> no: 4
> abstain: 2
> total: 24
>
> I thought that was a low number of votes given the recent influx of TUs, so I
> checked the total number of TUs listed on the official page
> (https://www.archlinux.org/trustedusers/).
>
> There are currently 37 active TUs. According to our bylaws
> (https://aur.archlinux.org/trusted-user/TUbylaws.html):
>
>> Quorum shall be 66% of all active TUs and participation shall be measured by the sum of YES, NO and ABSTAIN votes, UNLESS otherwise stated in a section of the bylaws pertaining to the proposal.
>> The proposal is accepted if EITHER
>>
>>     the number of YES votes is greater than half the number of active TUs OR
>>
>>     quorum has been established and the number of YES votes is greater than the
>>     number of NO votes
>
> 18/37 < 0.5, so the first condition has not met (19 yes votes needed)
>
> 24/37 < 0.66, so the second condition has not been met (25 total votes needed
> for quorum)
>
> I voted yes, so I do want this to pass, but if we just ignore the bylaws
> whenever it's convenient then there's not much point to having bylaws. We could
> hold a vote to make an exception in this instance, but I'm not sure that's the
> best way either. It would set a precedent for overriding the bylaws through
> simple majority.
>
> Regards,
> Xyne

Perhaps we could just run the vote again, because it would be be silly
for this to be determined by a 2% gap from the required quorum. I also
have my doubts that there are really 37 *active* trusted users.

I managed to miss the announcement that the voting period has started
because I haven't been keeping up with various mailing lists this
week. If it means anything, I did plan on voting YES before life came
along and distracted me.