[aur-general] Multiple requests

Felix Yan felixonmars at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 22:25:12 EDT 2013

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 01:56:46 Karol Blazewicz wrote:
> 1. Question:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bacula/ is basically the same as
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bacula-mysql/ . They both are
> orphans, but the latter is more up to date. Is it OK to merge bacula
> with bacula-mysql or let them both be?

Given there're still 3 votes for mysql on AUR, I removed bacula and left bacula-mysql as is.

> 2. Deletion:
> According to the comment, the package is obsolete. The source is gone too.
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/biblatex-apa/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/claws-tnef-plugin/

And both are very old packages (>3 year), removed.

> According to the comment, the package is obsolete.
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/breqn/

Removed.

> According to the comment, it's OK to remove it.
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bogo/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/clingcon/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/covim-git/

All removed.

> The source is gone.
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bin32-openjdk6/

Since it's still required by other packages, I just left it for now.

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bin32-pando/

Very old (5 years) and upstream gone, removed.

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bin32-prism/

Upstream dead, removed.

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bluemote-k700i/

Very old (5 years) and upstream gone, removed.

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/conky-google-reader/

Very old (> 3 years) and upstream gone, removed.

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/concordance/

Very old (> 4 years) and upstream gone, removed.

> 3. Songbird stuff: http://blog.songbirdnest.com/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bin32-songbird-nightly/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/songbird-bin/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/songbird-nightly-bin/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/songbird-bin64/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/songbird-svn/
>
> The last package has a comment that says the Nightingale project
> maintains a mirror for songbird:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/ngale/songbird-mirror/ci/master/tree/
> Is it OK to remove songbird packages?

As Nightingale is just a forked version, I don't feel the need - people could choose whatever they want on AUR. (And songbird-bin still has 341 votes which could be somewhat an evidence for popularity)

> 4. Merge:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bukkit/ with
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/craftbukkit/
> bukkit's description says "You are probably looking for the
> 'craftbukkit' package." The PKGBUILD doesn't list a proper source ...

Merged. And there are other obsolete packages in the dependency chain:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bukkit-general/
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bukkit-healthy/
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bukkit-minecart-mania-core/
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bukkit-minecart-mania-autocart/
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bukkit-minecart-mania-signs/
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bukkit-minecart-mania-stations/
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bukkit-permissions/

All upstreams dead, removed.

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/claws-mail-extra-plugins-cvs/ with
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/claws-mail-git/
> Same maintainer, see comment for claws-mail-extra-plugins-cvs:
> "Claws-mail moved to git, so please do not use this package but
> install claws-mail-git:"

Merged.

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cloud9-git/ with
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cloud9

Given the former is -git version and the latter is fetching git tags, I don't feel the need to merge the two - as they are both out-dated for now.

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cockatrice/ with
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cockatrice-git/
> Have a look at the comment on cockatrice about C&D from Hasbro
> http://www.cockatrice.de/

Merged.

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/compcache/ with
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/zramswap/
> http://code.google.com/p/compcache/: "compcache-0.6.2 is marked
> deprecated (so nothing available for download now). Please use the
> version available in the mainline (drivers/staging/zram)."

Merged.

> (No idea if it makes sense, see comments)
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cross-arm-elf-binutils-sysroot/ ,
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cross-arm-elf-base/ and

Removed the two since they are obsoleted by repo packages.

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cross-arm-elf-newlib/ with
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/arm-elf-newlib/

Merged this one.

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cross-arm-elf-gcc/ with
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/arm-elf-gcc/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cross-arm-elf-gdb/ with
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/arm-elf-gdb/

Both merged.

> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/curator/ with
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/curator-hg/
> See drcouzelis' comment on curator.

Given the mercurial repo have at least a v3.0 tag, it's easy to update the curator package - so I didn't merge them.

> Hey, TUs, do you prefer shorter, bite-sized mails or longer ones?
> Separate mails for merging, deleting and other stuff?

For me, I don't have a preference :)

> If a package has e.g. one vote and no important comments, do I still
> have to suggest merging with a suitable package or is it OK to just
> delete it? I have no idea which is faster and which is the proper way.

I think it's OK to just delete it.

Regards,
Felix Yan