[aur-general] Putting bumblebee and friends into [community]

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Sat Mar 2 07:53:38 EST 2013

Hi,

I'd like to gather some opinions on this. I was thinking about putting
bumblebee, primus and bbswitch into [community] as it doesn't look as
though nvidia is going to fix this properly in their driver any time
soon. I know about the GPL symbol drama and the supposed fix that is in
mainline now but how long until nvidia releases a working driver that
makes use of all that?

Until then, I think bumblebee is an ok fix. For laptops with optimus,
bumblebee is pretty much a necessity if you want any kind of battery
life and acceptable sound levels. I have a laptop with optimus and use
bumblebee all the time and I think it would make sense to have it in
[community]. The sad fact is that bumblebee is currently the only
working solution for optimus.

Normally I wouldn't ask the mailing list for something mundane as moving
packages but as bbswitch is a kernel module and as bumblebee is not very
highly regarded as a good solution even by its developers, I thought
it'd make sense to ask here first before people got angry.