[aur-general] TU application from graysky

Bartłomiej Piotrowski b at bpiotrowski.pl
Tue Mar 12 12:34:46 EDT 2013

On 2013-03-11 21:24, member graysky wrote:
> Hi All.  Inspired by Allan's talk @ SINFO XX, I decided to throw my
> hat into the ring and formally apply to be a TU.  My linux history
> started with RH and SUSE over a decade ago.  I discovered Debian and
> Ubuntu.  I found myself wanting more control and up-to-date repos and
> discovered Arch.  I find it and its underlying philosophies, and its
> community to be to my liking.  I have an interest in giving back to
> the Arch Community though maintaining some packages in [community].
> Listed below are a few of my contributions for those of you who don't
> recognize me from the bbs or from other interactions.  I reached out
> to Xyne who kindly agreed to sponsor my candidacy for TU.
>
> *Maintains an unofficial repo for >2 years now (http://repo-ck.com)
> whose main purpose is hosting linux-ck and related packages.
> *Maintains ~50 PKGBUILDs within the AUR; some legacy others of my own creation.
> *Wiki contributions, both original content, and standardizing many
> popular pages; member of Wiki Maintenance Team.
> *Contributed several open-source utils back to the community.
> https://github.com/graysky2/modprobed_db
> https://github.com/graysky2/profile-sync-daemon
> https://github.com/graysky2/profile-cleaner
> https://github.com/graysky2/backdrop-randomizer
> *Active contributor to Arch bugs.
> *Closely related to several upstream projects including: monitorix and
> the ck patchset
> *Active member on the bbs; usually helpful ;p

Hi,

I'm not sure if I should take part in the discussion, as my application
also hasn't specified anything besides packages I want to maintain, but…

As long as I understand (not only) your need of privacy, I would like to
know a bit more about you. Where do you live and what are you doing when
not working on Arch stuff? You don't have to be very precise, I'm just
curious.

Why do you think that e.g. monitorix will be good addition to
[community]? It doesn't look very different from munin or collectd; I
haven't encountered it in other distributions. Fine, it's all about
willingness to maintain yet another package, but 53 votes doesn't
indicate anything.

Among pointless bug reports such as executable bit on icon file, you
helped me at least once (sorry, I have bad memory. :p) with ufw.service,
so I can assume you are active not only on our bugtracker. Additionally
I had kernel26-ck on my desktop for some time; modprobed_db was useful
too (while it's quite ugly solution).

Still, you didn't tell much about your plans after becoming a TU. I hope
you keep an ace up your sleeve.

--
Bartłomiej Piotrowski
Arch Linux Trusted User