[aur-general] Unexpected aur package removal.

Daniel Wallace danielwallace at gtmanfred.com
Tue Mar 12 23:49:35 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:25:58PM -0400, Yichao Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A TU "gtmanfred" have just decided to remove one of my package just
> one minute after he commented on the package pointed out the missing
> package() in the PKGBUILD without any further explaination.
>
> The package is python-django-git[0], which I have uploaded 2-3 days
> ago[1] to replacing two old packages including one with 3 vote that I
> uploaded last Nov.
>
> I have already re-upload the package[0] since I don't think anything
> is wrong with the package (especially not for the package name, I can
> fix it if anything else with the package is wrong). And I just want to
> know if that was a delete by mistake or a missing package() somehow is
> enough reason to remove a package within ~1min after notifying the
> maintainer now?
>
> Yichao Yu
>
> [0] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/python-django-git/
> [1] https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2013-March/022494.html

Please follow packageing guidelines, anything that touches $pkgdir
should be inside the package() function.

repackaging without a package() function has been deprecated
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2010-April/010620.html

and PKGBUILDs without a package() function have been depricated
https://patchwork.archlinux.org/patch/515/
https://www.archlinux.org/todo/clean-up-pkgdir-usage/

--
Daniel Wallace