[aur-general] staticlibs in PKGBUILD?

WorMzy Tykashi wormzy.tykashi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 16:09:47 EST 2013

On 18 November 2013 20:45, oliver <oliver at first.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> some people mourned on AUR that a package that I maintain
> (adopted from other peoples) does not use "staticlibs" option.
>
> before they mentioned it I didn't knew about it.
>
> Is this a new PKGBUILD-option, or did I just have not seen it before?
>
> What does this option do?
>
> I found the description for the option, it says:
>
>     staticlibs - Leave static library (.a) files in packages
>
> Will static libs be only part of the package, if this option
> is set?
> So, without it, only shared libs will be put into the install package
> and static libs will be leftout?
>
> Can somebody please explain me this option?
>
> Ciao,
>    Oliver
>
> Static libs aren't supported in official arch packages, but several
packages still shipped with them due to staticlibs being the default in
makepkg. The pacman devs decided to switch to !staticlibs being the default
to bring the few remaining packages with static libs into line with the
policy. So no, staticlibs is not "new", it was just enable by default
previously. Now you have to explicitly enable staticlibs to package the .a
static libraries, something that individuals can do themselves by modifying
the PKGBUILD, or by changing makepkg.conf.

It's up to you, as a maintainer of an unsupported package, whether you want
to enable the static libs for everyone (modify the PKGBUILD options array),
or leave it up to individuals who want the staticlibs to enable them
themselves. Personally, I prefer the latter.

Relevant arch-dev threads:
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-March/024552.html
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-May/025002.html
https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-September/025454.html