[aur-general] Package of Questionable Legality

Emil Lundberg lundberg.emil at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 04:46:53 EST 2014

> This doesn't matter though. The AUR does not host any software that
> may or may not be used for copyright infringement. The AUR is simply a
> collection of build scripts.

Keep in mind that this exact argument was used by The Pirate Bay in
Swedish court, and they were struck down for "facilitation of
copyright infringement" if I recall correctly. I don't doubt that the
proportion of illegal activity is substantially greater for The Pirate
Bay than for the AUR, but what's the real difference except that they
also made money from ads?

I'm not saying it's wrong to allow the package in question, I just
wanted to point this out. And even if this would tick someone off I
doubt anyone would bother taking Arch to court for something like this
anytime soon.

/Emil