[aur-general] Corrected package ekeyd ready for AUR

Thomas Preissler thomas at preissler.co.uk
Mon Feb 10 16:37:23 EST 2014

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 09:29:43PM -0600, Doug Newgard wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 01:13:59 +0000
> > From: thomas at preissler.co.uk
> > To: aur-general at archlinux.org
> > Subject: [aur-general] Corrected package ekeyd ready for AUR
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using the entropy key from Simtec and I found the ekeyd package on
> > AUR - unfortunately there are some problems with it, as outlined.
> >
> > Changes I have done to the original tarball:
> > * Fixed the problem compiling with host/lstate.c.
> > * Added a systemd unit egd-linux.service.
> >
> > Source package is attached for your review, guys, this is my very first
> > one, so please bear with me...
> >

> > Regards
> >
> > Thomas
>
> Patching/sed should be done in a separate prepare function.
> Does the make install need those _make_flags? If not, it would make more sense to not define a new variable, just include them in the make in the build function. For that matter, the _base_distro variable doesn't really do anything, but I can understand that so that it's easier to change.
> Please quote all path that contain $srcdir or $pkgdir. You don't know if they contain spaces or not.
> No reason to use "${srcdir}/../egd-linux.service", "${srcdir}/egd-linux.service" is just fine.
> Not a big deal, but the variable at the top are usually defined in a specific order. It works fine as is, just a little jarring. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pkgbuild

Apologies for coming back so late... I picked this up again and I tried
to fix it as per your suggestions. Thanks for these btw!

My entropy key was before plugged into a Debian 7, and this system was
runing ekeyd & egd-linux and my desktop with AL was running egd-linux,
it was sort of running most of the time.
Debian 7 is using LUA 5.1 btw.

Now with my fw running AL (and LUA 5.2) I tried to get ekeyd running on
it. Long story short, I couldn't get it to work.
I am not sure now whether LUA 5.2 (the default on AL) was a problem as
well, but I can test that again, if required.
The biggest problem was that initializing the entropy key with
ekey-rekey [...] was either just sitting there, or showing a "MAC
timout" error.

Last but not least I was thinking of contacting Simtec, the manufacturer
of this key. I had a dive into their mailinglists entropykey-users and
ektropykey-dev as listed on http://www.entropykey.co.uk/contact/, and I
found two things:
1) The latest entry is from July 2013
2) and this entry is somebody complaining that they cannot be contacted,
   but with an answer that they have "some hardship right now".

I just didn't want to let this hang here, half in the middle of it and
let you guys know.

Regards

Thomas

--
www.preissler.co.uk | Twitter: @module0x90 | PGP-Key: 75889415
GPG Fingerprint:  CCBD 153A D257 CA7E A217  FDF7 5928 03D1 7588 9415