[aur-general] Promoting use of .AURINFO

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Sun Jan 12 10:01:06 EST 2014

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 at 15:20:03, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> On 12/01/2014 14:35, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think we should promote the use of .AURINFO files. Currently, only a
> > very small fraction of packages use it. A basic description of its
> > format can be found in the commit message of AUR commit 5a11373 [1].
> > Regardless of whether we keep that format or use something entirely
> > different for metadata later, it is good to have this information stored
> > somewhere and the format is simple enough to migrate to another format
> > later.
> >
> Hi,
>
> I read the commit info but why do we need another file? What's the
> purpose of overriding PKGBUILD variables in AUR?

* It is impossible to extract information from a PKGBUILD properly in
  general (for example if there are conflicting package descriptions for
  different architectures, different dependencies depending on
  machine-specific stuff), the user is the only one to decide what to
  display on the AUR in these cases.

* It is hard to extract information from a PKGBUILD when common bash
  features (variable substitutions etc.) are used -- basically requires
  "execution" of the PKGBUILD -- this is better done on the client side.

* The current PKGBUILD parser in the AUR is extremely hackish and should
  be removed.