[aur-general] Java name guideliness

Det nimetonmaili at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 02:22:17 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 8:18 AM, Pablo Lezaeta Reyes <prflr88 at gmail.com>
wrote:

 > Since the new java-common come to the repo Is now possible have multiple
 > java, but this bring and open another issue, java naming scheme the
guy in
 > jre/jdk[1] and jre-devel and jdk-devel refuse to follow a convention non
 > generic name and the other maintaining jre7/jdk7 [2] and
 > jre7-oracle/jdk7-oracle that do the same [3] refuse to accept or merge
 > jre7-oracle into jre7 for the same reason even if the jre-oracle was
merged
 > into jre, this is a chaos.
 > Many packages doing the same in different verion having different name
 > conventions and ALL arguin bein correct.
 >
 > There is need to a conventional standar name scheme or this will be
worst,
 > instead to be kiss this is sick.
 > There is a name scheme or name convention to follow?

First of all, I really *really* urge you to stop using phrases like
"refusal" or "this is sick". If that really was the case, it would only
split all parties further. It's not "refusal" to talk something through
before doing it.

In fact, _nowhere_ do I see anybody refusing to do _anything_. The talk
in jdk7[1] is discussion on the appropriate name, and what I told
everybody both in there and jdk[2] was my view on things and why I did
what I had done (use jdk/java-8-jdk as the name, rather than
jdk8-oracle/java-8-oracle). You realise how unbelievably easy it is for
me to revert to the "jdk8-oracle" approach, if that winds up being the
consensus? Or if I somehow wouldn't, then how easy would it be to kick
me off from maintaining that thing?

Enough of that already. Why I chose the "java-8-jdk" naming comes from
the fact that "java-8-openjdk" sounds like we're trying to do
"java-<major version>-<project name>". The project name of JDK is not
"Oracle JDK", and that's why I chose it. Now, OpenJDK apparently still
calls these projects by their "base name"[3], but _I_ would still prefer
(read: I don't "refuse"; I prefer) having packages called "jdk8-openjdk"
and "jdk" that install in "/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk/" and
"/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-jdk/", respectively.

This also means we can currently do:

$ man java-openjdk8
$ man java-jdk8

To access the man pages. I really didn't like the following at all:

$ man java-openjdk8
$ man java8-oracle

[1] = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/jdk7/
[2] = https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/jdk/